You are here: Places > Bagni di Lucca > Things to see & do
Minimize
Things to see & do
The thermal baths

Today the main thermal bath establishment in operation is the Terme Jean Varraud, located in Via Bagni Caldi, just above the Ponte a Serraglio part of Bagni di Lucca.

The temperature of the waters at this thermal bath is between 40°C and 47°C. This water is rich in mineral salts that are very good for the body. This spa specializes in curing arthritis rheumatism, bronchial problem, pneumonia and vascular and gynecological pathologies. There are two natural steam grottoes and the miracle cures of these waters are many.

Passeggiata Elizabeth Barrett e Robert Browning

There is a very pleasant walkway along the river in Bagni di Lucca (very close to Conad Supermarket) where, it is told, couples in the past liked to stroll along in the evenings.  One of these couples was the famous Elizabeth Barret and Robert Browning,  poets from the Victorian era, who seemed to have liked Bagni di Lucca very much, having visited the town in three occasions. 

They are said to have lived a beautiful love story. The municipality decided to name the pathway "Passeggiata Elizabeth Barrett e Robert Browning, as a tribute to them. It indeed is a very beautiful place for a walk by the river.


Orrido di Botri


Located  in the Valle di Serchio, Orrido di Botri is a paradise for nature lovers and those who adore the thrill of walking through a steep, rocky gorge. The Orrido di Botri near Bagni di Lucca is an impressive limestone gorge with steep walls carved out of the rock by the cold water of the Rio Pelago.

The Orrido forms a very narrow valley created by water erosion. Movements of the earth’s tectonic forces also played a role in creating this dramatic gorge, as fractures and crevasses aided the flow of water in shaping the land.

The canyon is quite unspoiled and so is also home to many rare and majestic animals such as the royal eagle and the wolf. Read more...

Villa Ada
Villa Ada

Villa Ada in Bagni di Lucca is the result of a 19th century intervention on late renaissance structures. It has an irregular plan as more buildings were added to its structure over the course of time. The two high, hexagonal towers, which give the villa its characteristic appearance, were added in the 1800's.

A wide portico opens at the base of the central hexagonal tower, while on the upper floors, there are balconies with arched window-doors. The windows, decorated with grey stone cornices, are arranged in regular intervals on the façade, which is ochre in colour.


The entrance to the villa, with its great glass windows, the stairs and marble floors, is the most magnificent part of the building.  Nowadays only the park is open to the public.  Read more...
Chain Bridge
Ponte delle Catene (Chain Bridge)

Ponte delle Catene (Chain Bridge) is one of the first suspension bridges ever built in Italy. The wooden and metallic catwalk is held by metal cables supported by piers. The traditional design of the piers, which echoes the roman (and Napoleonic) triumphal arches, and the advanced construction technique mark the style of the architect of the bridge Lorenzo Nottolini (1787-1851).
The bridge was built under the patronage of Charles of Bourbon, after a flood of the stream Lima had destroyed the older bridge in 1836. Read more...


Il Casinò MunicipaleIl Casinò Municipale


Among the most characteristic Bagni di Lucca attractions is the Municipal Casino, The casino is located in the area known as Ponte a Serraglio and was constructed between the years 1838 and 1839.

According to some sources the Municipal Casino of Bagni di Lucca is the oldest casino in Italy and perhaps in all of Europe. At a certain point, it contained the oldest roulette in Europe, but its current whereabouts are unknown.

The building has undergone renovations and was reopened to the public in 2004. Throughout the years it has been closed and reopened a number of times.  In it there is also a museum, in which various tables and gambling objects used during the 1700s and 1800s are displayed. Unfortunately, the Casino can only be admired from the outside at this point in time (june 2011).

Antica Farmacia Betti
Antica Farmacia Betti

The pharmacy was founded in 1709 by the "speziale" Paolino Ghiareschi, the first descendent of a family from Borgo a Mozzano that, for around three centuries, has handed down the profession of pharmacist, as far as the present-day owner Massimo Betti.

Bagni di Lucca was already at the time renowned for the presence of the Baths, and the Betti pharmacy was called the "Royal Pharmacy of the Bagni di Lucca Hospital".

Around 1870, authorised by Queen Victoria, it displayed the coat of arms of the British royal house and used the name "Pharmacy of the British Embassy", later changed to "English Pharmacy".  Read more...

Villa Fiori

In 1846, the villa (then Villa Pieri) was already rented out. It was a simple squared plan, three-floored construction. The building was bought by Baron Fiori in the second half of the 1800's and was converted into a type of medieval palace. A battlement was added to the crowning part of the building and turrets were built around the fencing of the park.

The park's layout essentially dates back to this period although it was smaller in dimension at the end of the 1800's than it is today. Paolinelli's work (1916-1917), who gave the villa its present form, took place under the ownership of Jean Varraud, the French industrialist and founder of the company that managed the baths in Bagni di Lucca up until 1968. Varraud was a collectionist of paintings by Lorenzo Viani, and his collection is the core of the Pinacoteca Lorenzo Viani in Viareggio. Only the park is open to the public. Read more...


Pievi San Pietro (San Pietro Church)
Pievi San Pietro
This church, one of the most interesting examples of medieval architecture in the Lucca area, has clear ties with the models of Arliano and Coreglia. In the early 20th century it underwent a process of "medievalization" to restore its original arrangement. The interior features important 17th century paintings by Giovan Domenico Ferrucci, Tiberio Franchi and Gaspare Mannucci.  Read more...

Municipal TheaterTeatro Comunale Accademico  (The Municipal Theatre)

The theatre was built in 1790 by a group of 19 volunteering villagers.

In 1800 it was attended by Elisa Baiocchi and in the summer of 1823 it was rented by the Russian Prince Nicolaj Demidoff, who organized a series of performances in the theatre.

Completely renovated by the municipality of Bagni di Lucca in 1986, the theatre has been hosting various conventions, conferences and debates on an annual basis, in addition to hosting regular performances during the theatre season.